Great Tips for Talking to Witnesses After a Car Accident
There are a few different ways to approach a witness after a car accident with the pandemic’s new normal in mind. Witnesses to a car accident can be valuable resources for a victim to gain credibility in their claim. When presenting a witness’ testimony in court, they are viewed as a neutral bystander to the accident since they have nothing to gain and are only presenting what they noticed at the scene. It is crucial to have eyewitnesses testify in court and bring an unbiased perspective to the judge.
After an accident, always remember to pull over to the side of the road where you are out of harm’s way. If you do not move your vehicle after getting into an accident (unless you are under life-threatening circumstances), you are putting yourself and others at risk of being injured, or possibly causing a pile-up.
Keep your distance when discussing information with the witnesses!
How can we make sure witnesses testify in court?
- Exchange information at the scene.
(This way, you can ask further questions on the phone.)
- While remaining at a six-foot distance, keep a mask handy to put on once you step outside your vehicle to speak with witnesses.
To find out where the witness was when the accident happened:
- Ask where the witness was coming and going.
- Ask how far the witness was from the scene of the accident.
- Ask for any relevant details from the witness.
After gathering information on where the witness was when the accident occurred, uncover the witness’ basic knowledge of the scene.
- Around what speed were the cars going at the time of the accident?
- Was there traffic?
- What was the weather on that day?
- Did any car signal a lane change?
- Was there road signage, traffic lights, or other matters that may have contributed to the accident?
While it is essential to socially distance, make sure to jot these notes down immediately upon approaching eyewitnesses. These key points may become lost in memory, so getting any and all information from witnesses as soon as possible will help your case.
Don’t Go Through This Alone
1-800-411-PAIN is here for you 24/7. When you get into an accident, after 911, call 411, 1-800-411-PAIN. Our team will get you in touch with the BEST local accident attorneys who will help your case, AND we also will provide you with information on local doctors to treat your injuries. The more information you can gather from witnesses, the more it can help your case in getting the right compensation. Remember, after 911, call 411, Call Path at 1-800-411-PAIN when you get into a car accident.