What To Do When Involved in An Out-of-State Accident 411 PAIN

What To Do When Involved in An Out-of-State Accident

Posted on : March 22, 2022

Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident is difficult, especially if it is an out-of-state accident. Each state has different laws that determine what to do following a car accident, making the situation even more stressful. Here is what you need to know if you are involved in a car accident outside your home state.

The Basics

You must take steps after a car accident, no matter where it occurs. First, call 911. Relay information about the situation – where the accident occurred, if anyone was hurt, and how bad. If possible, move the vehicles out of traffic. If the vehicles cannot be moved, turn on the hazards and place cones or other safety devices around the accident to warn other drivers. Once the police arrive, they can help safely secure the scene and document the incident in a police report.

Exchange Information

Once everyone is out of harm’s way, it is necessary to exchange information with the other drivers involved in the accident. This will help with processing the out-of-state accident insurance claims. Be sure to exchange the following details:

  • Names and contact information 
  • Vehicle descriptions – make, model, year, color
  • Driver’s license and plate numbers
  • Insurance policy numbers

Document the Incident

Once information with the other drivers has been exchanged, you should document the incident details. Take photos of the accident scene and any damage done to the vehicles involved. You should also record the police officer’s name, badge number, and contact information, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses—finally, document the accident’s circumstances, including weather and road conditions.

Hiring an Attorney

This is where things can get tricky. You may think to hire a lawyer in the state where the accident occurred; however, this lawyer may not know about the medical providers and insurance coverage where you reside. On the other hand, lawyers in your home state may not be licensed to practice law in the state where the accident happened.

The best course of action when involved in an out-of-state accident is to hire an attorney with offices in several states and licensed in several different jurisdictions. You should also consider attorneys with medical contacts throughout the country. 

Call 1-800-411-PAIN

If you or a loved one has been injured in an out-of-state car accident, contact 1-800-411-PAIN. With law and medical offices throughout the country, we are ready to help you recover physically and financially no matter where your accident occurred.

We understand how difficult it can be to recover from an injury and accumulate medical bills on top of navigating the laws of another state. That is why the 1-800-411-PAIN team is here to help you with legal and medical matters every step of the way. And if 1-800-411-PAIN is unable to help you, we can connect you with someone who can.

Always be careful when driving, whether in your home state or out-of-state, and always know that you can call trustworthy medical and legal professionals at 1-800-411-PAIN if you are ever in a car accident.

Call 411 PAIN Now | 888-305-3656