5 Common Causes of Car Accidents
If you’ve never been in an accident, consider yourself very lucky! Almost everyone has experienced a car accident at least once in their lifetime. It can be minor or major, but the more informed the driver is on the road- the more they can avoid a sudden car crash. When you’re in South Florida, you most likely have to watch what happens in traffic. You never know when a person will cut or swerve in-between lanes. You already know that no one likes using their signals. Here are common causes of car accidents. With this in mind, you can avoid certain situations and save yourself from losing money and possibly losing your life.
- Distracted Driving: Believe it or not this is the number one reason why people get into car accidents. Whether it’s talking on the phone, eating a snack or doing your make-up – your attention is diverted into another activity rather than what’s surrounding you. Is an insta-story worth a crash? Even if a thousand people view your story, that’s not worth a thousand bucks.
- Rain: September showers are hitting, and it’s hitting hard. Those slippery roads can take a toll on your wheels. Inclement weather can be harsh because it makes it difficult for us to see and our driving can be out of control. Remember to put your lights on, drive slow and be aware of your surroundings. No one wants to hydroplane nor witness one. Don’t forget to stay away from flooded areas.
- Driving Under the Influence: No matter how much we say it, NEVER drink and drive. CDC states that about 25 people die everyday as a result of drunk driving. Even though you know your limit and may think it’s “fine” to drive – take some time to rest and relax at the place you are at before you get the keys and turn on the engine. It’s not only alcohol though. Legal and illegal drugs can make you impaired as well. If you cannot control your mind or body, you will find yourself in an accident. Save a life by not driving under any influences.
- Road Rage: You don’t think feelings affect our driving? Please. Some people let their road rage get to them and start speeding pass cars or tailgating them.This happens most in traffic – where it shouldn’t because that’s where most accidents happen. Try to calm down with some nice music of your own or putting the windows down. Road rage is not worth getting in a car accident.
- Street Racing: Don’t you love the sound of sport cars? They sound nice, but you have to watch out for them especially at night. These “Fast and Furious” fans usually hit the streets at times where the roads are clear from cars and cops. Their speeding can lead to an accident, so NEVER join them. You never know who’s in the horizon.When you’re driving in the drive-time zone, be alert. People have suggested to stay in the middle lane during this time just in case these bad boys past you. Speeding can get them a ticket or worse, get into an accident and total their car. The car won’t be as nice, would it?
Overall, be alert on the road always. If you’re tired or can’t concentrate pull over and rest or find a place to relax and re-energize. You can save your money, your life and other people if you drive with the right mind-set and avoid any distractions.