Know How to Change a Tire
Have you ever heard from a person that it’s important to know how to change a tire? The question is, do you carry a spare in your car? Apparently, it’s a must to know how to change a tire just in case one of the wheels pop. In most cars, there is a department underneath the floor mat where you can keep your spare until it’s time to change your wheel. Make sure you have the tools needed first (spare tire, wrench, repair kit and more). Then follow these steps.
If your tire is busted, slow down your speed and turn on your emergency lights. Find a safe spot away from traffic to give you space while you switch tires. If you can’t avoid incoming cars, try your best to be as far away from traffic as possible and use reflective triangles to warn oncoming cars.
Steps to change a tire:
- Keep the car secure by placing the wheel wedges.
- Use the lug wrench to remove the wheel cover (mostly the metal part of the wheel).
- Loosen the lug nuts using the wrench, but don’t remove them.
- Set up the car jack underneath the flat tire.
- Expand it until the flat is about 6 inches away from the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts and then the flat tire. Then, align the spare.
- Replace the lug nuts and tighten them by hand.
- Lower the jack slowly until the spare touches the ground.
- If the lug nuts need more tightening, use the wrench.
- Replace the wheel cover and check the pressure.
If you do not have the tools mentioned, you will not be able to change a car. Therefore, it’s best to call for road service to assist you.